July has been more obsess-over-TV-shows and less read-all-the-books. The Flash and Stranger Things have taken over my life and all I want to do is re-watch those shows, watch SDCC panels, and besides work, that didn’t leave as much time for reading as I usually have. I was also in a weird mood because all books I started besides my precious re-reads during the last two weeks were kinda meh, especially Gemina, one of my most anticipated releases, which made me want to pick up a book even less. I did read SOME great books though.
With so much re-reading this year, it’s hard to discover new favorites but I did read two very great new series this summer. And as always, re-reads were even better the second (and third time) around, never disappointing.
- Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire
If you want diversity, this is the book to read! Strange and just overall fantastic. Can’t wait for the second book.
(also: need to start her Feed series)
- The Providence of Fire (Unhewn Throne #2) by Brian Staveley
A+++ character development, kickass female characters and GIANT EPIC BIRDS.
- This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab
I will never not be reading about my precious monster boy.
- Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Had to re-read this before I started Gemina and the plot twist caught me off guard yet again, so yeah, much needed re-read. Was just as good as the first time. AIDAN is just the best.
- The Lost & Found by Katrina Leno
Even more FEELS than the first time, might have cried quite a lot during the end. This OTP is going to kill me during one of my future re-reads.
Apparently everyone and their grandmother published a new song or album during June. And I missed it all. Had a lot of catching up to do in July but didn’t even get to it all. My July playlist ended up being way to short for my liking and wasn’t played even close to often-enough. On top of that I’m still obsessing over Living in Fiction’s album (can’t stop, won’t stop). A Thousand Foot Krutch’s new album Exhale is A+ and Polarheart has been stuck in my head all the time too.
Favorite Shows and Movies
- UnREAL is back and as fucked up as ever. Needs to pick up again after the last 2 episodes though.
- Suits is back as well (how did we get there so fast?) and the mess is as big as ever. Loving it.
- Watched some more of Prison Break, still kinda (read: a lot) obsessed with Wentworth Miller.
- Finally finished season 2 of The Flash SJDASFHJHJKDHFLSDGHDFGFDG I HAVE FEELS. SO MANY FEELS.
- Started Broadchurch for the sole reason that David Tennant is in it and I. Am. Hooked.
- Binge watched all of Stranger Things and have been sitting here, waiting for season 2 ever since. I. AM. OBSESSED.
How was jULY for you? Did you read any great books?
I’m so disappointed about “Gemina.” I want to hear what was wrong with it. D:
I can’t wait to talk about “Every Heart a Doorway” with you! Gahhhh. And I had no idea it was a series, so now I’m even more excited.
YOU STARTED BROADCHURCH?! I want updates! :D
Got My Book
I a HUGE rereader, and I am using my status as a new blogger as an excuse to reread everything I own & love, a few at a time, in order to write reviews.
Sunday Summary #13
Everyone keeps telling me how good “Stranger Things” is.. I need to watch it pretty soon :)
Oh, finally some character development in the Unhewn Throne series! :D I was very disappointed by the first part, especially since it all sounded so awesome and I had very high expectations..
Cynthia @ Bingeing On Books
Oooh I should reread Illuminae. I absolutely loved that book and can’t wait to read the sequel. And This Savage Song is on my TBR list. So glad you loved it so much.